Sunburn is an acute cutaneous inflammatory reaction that follows excessive exposure of the skin to ultraviolet radiation, primarily UVB. How to prevent sunburn depends on both your skin type (which determines your likelihood to burn or tan) and the amount of UVB exposure you receive.
Skin types range from Type I to Type VI in a classification developed by Fitzpatrick and Pathak in 1975. You can identify your skin type in the table below based on whether you burn and/or tan after an hour in the midday sun at the start of summer. Once you know your skin type, the table then shows how many minutes before your skin will redden (without protection) when the UV Index is 6 or 8 or 10.
|Skin Type||What is Your Reaction to One Hour in Midday Sun at Start of Summer?||Typical Characteristics||Time to Redden when UV Index 6 or 8 or 10|
|I||Always burn, no tan||Pale white skin, blue/hazel eyes, blond/red hair||28 21 17 minutes|
|II||Usually burn, minimal tan||Fair skin, blue/green/hazel eyes, blond/red/brown hair||33 25 20 minutes|
|III||Mild burn, moderate tan||Average caucasian skin||44 33 27 minutes|
|IV||No burn, good tan||Light brown skin||58 44 35 minutes|
|V||Never burn, tan||Brown skin||89 67 53 minutes|
|VI||Never burn, always tan||Black skin||167 125 99 minutes|
While sunscreen is commonly used for sun protection, most people don't use the right thickness of sunscreen or reapply it often enough. This means the effective level of protection from sunscreen is typically only ¼ to ½ the SPF rating - leading to sunburn in ¼ to ½ the expected time! A better approach to sun protection is a combination of sun protection clothing, sunglasses, sunscreen and shade.
Coolibar Sun Protection Clothing Helps Prevent SunburnCoolibar stands for the best in sun protection. It's all we do. We offer quality products that block UV and help prevent sunburn. Our products include sun protection clothing for women and men, sun hats, sun protective swimwear, shade structures, sunglasses and multispectrum sunscreens and sunblocks. We also offer specialized accessories including sun gloves and items for face sun protection. Every Coolibar product is tested and rated for its UV protection level.
Click here for a sun protection clothing catalog from Coolibar. To start shopping Coolibar's web site, go here.
Here are quotes from some of our customers:
- "I had laser surgery on my face and I am not allowed to expose my face to the sun. I was going to Florida of all places and was very concerned about keeping the sun off my face yet not spoiling the trip for everyone by hiding from the sun. With the proper products from Coolibar - sunscreen, an umbrella and a sun hat - I sat on the beach all day and did not get one bit of sunburn on my face!" Nancy from Georgia.
- "Excellent merchandise, excellent service! I wore sun protection clothing for a hiking trip in Chaco Canyon, New Mexico in the heat of summer. I was cool and so comfortable and absolutely no sunburn. Highly recommended." - Brooke from New Mexico
- "The quality of these products are very good...I have 5 kids.....now I don't have to see my kids get sunburned when they come home from the pool. Thanks!" Tami from Wisconsin
- "The quality of the Coolibar product far exceeded anything I had seen on the market! In fact, my children returned from our trip to Hawaii with no sunburn or rash. Thanks for making such an attractive high quality product. I'll be ordering for myself next." Maija from Arizona
Endorsements of Coolibar
Coolibar has received excellent endorsements from a number of independent organizations.
- Coolibar is the first company in America to produce sun protective clothing, hats and swimwear that are recommended by The Skin Cancer Foundation, an independent non-profit organization based in New York, New York dedicated solely to the prevention and detection of the world?s most common cancer. Each Coolibar product that has received a Seal of Recommendation from The Skin Cancer Foundation displays a special icon - both on our web site and in our catalog. These products also carry a hang tag that includes the icon.
- Sun protection and the role of sun protection clothing products such as those offered by Coolibar in the prevention of life threatening skin cancers was discussed in an excellent and authoritative journal article. This article was written by some of the recognized authorities in sun protection including plastic surgeons, an ophthalmologist, an otolaryngologist (ear, nose and throat specialist) and head and neck surgeon, trauma surgeons, and a leader in health education.
- Coolibar was rated the "Best Overall" company in America for sun protective swimwear by the Wall Street Journal in June 2004.
Click here for information about Coolibar's Medical Advisory Board.
To learn how to use the UV Index.
Request a Coolibar sun protection clothing catalog.