Job Title: Technical Design Manager, Full-time, Permanent
For nearly 20 years, Coolibar (koo-luh-bar) has stopped at nothing to develop the most innovative, technical and high performing sun protective apparel and accessories. In fact, we are the first sun protective clothing company to receive The Skin Cancer Foundation’s Seal of Recommendation.
OUR MISSION is to keep the world safe from sun damage, to protect those with a sun-related medical condition and to prevent everyone else from developing one. We believe everyone deserves the right to an active, outdoor lifestyle in the sun, so we promise Coolibar clothing and accessories are UPF 50+.
Coolibar, headquartered in Minneapolis, MN is a mission driven e-commerce retailer. A small company, Coolibar is a big retail success in providing sun protection for our global customers. Experiencing double digit business growth over the last 7 years, the Coolibar team has grown to over 60 full-time employees. Working at Coolibar employees have the opportunity to learn and develop, while contributing to the company’s mission and success. Come grow with Coolibar!
Coolibar offers a solid benefits and compensation package including; healthcare, life and disability coverage, 401(k) plan/match, PTO and employee discount on product.
The Technical Design Manager is responsible for managing and executing the translation and development processes from design vision to design development, to fit and quality, through end production. Additionally, they will manage and develop the Technical Design team while working closely with design, merchandising and product development teams.
Key Functions and Responsibilities
• Manage and provide strategic direction the development, implementation and maintenance of product standards including; fit consistency and User Group functionality, quality, grading and tech pack formats.
• Manage the Technical Design workload and calendar. Plan and track seasonal production calendar as it relates to finalization of technical fitting and approvals. Manage and inspire the team to own their product and fittings.
• Oversee and manage fit session processes. Attend all fit sessions to ensure that fit meets requirements and company standards. Ensure that pattern revisions, incorporating styling and fit changes are documented and communicated to vendors consistently and in accordance standards. Sign off on all final fit approvals.
• Collaborate with design team to understand the creative vision of the line for each season and translate design flat sketch into 3-dimensional product. Provide technical recommendations to design team to achieve design concepts and category initiatives.
• Ensure continual improve process efficiencies and be aware of industry innovation and strategically implemented at Coolibar.
• Support and implement the utilization of new PLM system. Documents processes and procedures related effective utilization of system. Manage style documentation in PLM, including sample dates, detailed fit corrections, graded specifications and approval dates.
• Utilize and leverage customer and User Group feedback in the refine and improve consistency of overall fit and functionality across categories.
• Manage, lead and develop the technical team. Provide technical expertise and ongoing training to team as it relates to all facets of construction, garment functionality and fit, etc.
• Manage and oversee productive vendor relationships.
Required Skills and Qualifications Overview
• BA Technical Design (Apparel) or related field, with at least 8 years working in of technical design experience in the apparel industry and development operations.
• Strong understand and experienced in the product creation and development process, garment construction, pattern making, grading, fit specs for wovens, technical fabrics, bottoms, hats, cutting and sewing of knits and wovens, etc.
• Positive, high-energy individual, who thrives on building new processes and influencing others in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
• Comprehensive systems knowledge including Microsoft Office, Illustrator, PLM skills, Optitex, etc. Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
• Ability to negotiate and build consensus and collaborate across multiple functions.
• Proven ability to work closely and partner effectively with designers, various team members and vendors.
• Strong problem solver with ability to independently analyze, assess and think strategically.
• Strong attention to detail, with ability to communicated clearly on a detailed level with In House Production team.
• Experience in management of Technical Design team members.
• Ability to multi-tasking and thrive in ambiguous, fast-paced work environment.
• Ability to travel (domestic and international) up to 10% of the time.
Coolibar is an Equal Opportunity Employer
If interested in this role, please submit your resume to Jobs@coolibar.com with the subject line "Technical Fit Manager".