Women's Asymmetrical Clara Sun Hat UPF 50+
- UPF 50+
- Ribbon crown band with bow at center back
- Internal adjustable grosgrain ribbon for an adjustable fit
- Approx. circumference: 22 ½"
- Brim: 3 ¾” front, 3 ½” side, 2 ⅛” back
- Paper/Polyester blend
- One Size
- Spot Clean
Lean back in your lounge chair with ease and relax in the shade of sun coverage with our Asymmetrical Clara Sun Hat. Designed for coverage, without compromising your comfort, the graduated brim of these sun shade hats provides a larger brim of full shade coverage in the front, with a smaller brim in back, making it ideal to sit in a beach chair effortlessly. The satin ribbon accent bow at the crown is a subtle nod to classic elegance which lends itself well to the versatility of your style.
4 Things to Know Before You Buy A Sun Hat…
Hat shopping does not have to be overwhelming. There are so many styles, materials, and price points that you might wonder “why should I pay this much for a hat?”. Well, not all hats are created equal. A good sun hat can last a lifetime when properly taken care of, some can even be passed down to the next generation. More importantly, a hat that’s made specifically for sun protection (tested and certified with a UPF rating) can help prevent skin cancer, the most common cancer in the United States. One of the most common places for skin cancer is on the human scalp. It's also one of the least diagnosed. It’s tough to know what’s going on under your hair! So regular checkups are important.
Here are 4 key things to consider when shopping for the perfect sun hat:
- Brim width is the most important feature of a hat you plan to use for sun protection. For the most protection, look for a wide brimmed hat with a 3" (or more) brim all the way around to shade your face, ears, and the back of your neck. If you wear a baseball cap, protect your ears and the back of your neck by wearing UPF 50+ clothing that covers those areas and/or using sunscreen.
- UPF Rating will guarantee you know the level of sun protection your hat provides. UPF stands for Ultraviolet Protection Factor and is the rating given to clothing for its broad spectrum protection against both UVA and UVB rays. (SPF is a measure for sunscreens effectiveness against UVB rays). UPF 50+ clothing and accessories offer broad spectrum protection that blocks 98% of UVA and UVB rays. That’s what you want protecting your scalp!
- Material matters in your sun hat because it indicates performance, durability and packability, as well as environmental standards. Many popular sun hats are made of woven materials that look like traditional straw but have features specifically designed for sun safety. Construction and testing is key. Here are the facts on some popular sun hat woven materials:
- Raffia is a self-sustainable palm and can grow up to 8 feet tall. It regrows leaves even after being harvested. Coolibar raffia sun hats are woven by some of the most skilled artisans in the world so that we can guarantee a tight, sun-safe weave. Raffia can be braided tight or loose and is the most resilient straw material.
- Hemp fiber is strong, soft and will not mildew. Hemp is frost tolerant, requires moderate amounts of water and only moderate amounts of fertilizer to grow. It does not require pesticides or herbicides. Hemp can be woven and braided.
- Wheat straw is harvested from the wheat plant. It is braided and sewn together, creating concentric lines for a clean, sophisticated look. Finely woven wheatbraid makes a more flexible hat than coarse braiding. Natural wheat straw can be color-dyed.
- Toyo straw is made from colorful paper yarns. The paper is hand twisted, hand woven, with an added sheen finish. A Toyo straw, woven sun hat is durable, smooth to the touch and lightweight.
- Paper varies as a material. Coolibar’s Deluxe Paper Braid is one of the highest quality papers available. It’s actually a proprietary blend of twisted paper and monofilament braided together by heritage machines respected for the production of high-quality materials for more than 50 years.
- Shantung is made from high performance paper which is rolled into a yarn to imitate straw. It is durable, light-weight and reflects sunlight.
- Palm braid is naturally water resistant, sustainable and provides a high UPF rating for sun protection.
- Special Features can help you decide based on how you’re going to use the hat. Here are a few to consider:
- Packability is key if you’re planning to travel light or always want to have a packable hat handy in your car, purse or backpack.
- Shapeable brims allow you to style your hat to fit your look and desired coverage.
- Chin Cords or ribbons help keep your wide brimmed hat extra secure on your head in windy conditions and are handy for on/off situations because you can carry your chin strap hat on your upper back secured with the cord at your neck.
- Sweatbands and/or Lining on the internal crown help keep the hat and your hair in place. A moisture-wicking material will keep you cool.
- Adjustable sizing accommodates multiple head sizes and hair styles.
The most important thing to remember is that ANY HAT is better than NO HAT protecting your scalp, ears, neck and face! All hats can offer shade and style, but only a well-made, certified UPF sun hat with thoughtful features can become your go-to sun protection for years to come.
HOW TO DETERMINE YOUR HAT SIZE: Measure around your head, from the center of your forehead, keeping tape straight and parallel to the floor. Measure around fullest part.
All Coolibar fabrics have been approved as an effective UV protectant for covered areas. Coolibar is the first clothing company to receive The Skin Cancer Foundation’s Seal of Recommendation.